Watchpart.co.uk  |  Watchtool.co.uk  |  Watchesandrings.com  |  Watchretail.co.uk
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Which is the right replacement main spring ? 

Post Which is the right replacement main spring ?
Hello all

I am sort of new to all this but i do have a background in Engineering as I did a toolmakers apprenticeship.

I have inherited some clocks and watches that are in various conditions, slowly I am getting them all to work again.

I have a Duward wrist watch with a small second hand a the bottom so not very expensive I think. But the main spring has snapped

the spring is 0.127mm think 1.74mm wide and about 360mm long (ish) and sites into a spring housing of about 12 mm

I cant find a the Duward in a list of main spring but lost of generic types but I don't really understand what the numbers they use mean in relation to the size I need to replace it with. See website below

http://watchpart.co.uk/watch-parts-acce ... 53_60.html

At 2.50 for a new spring I'm not going to try and make a 1mm x 2mm punch to put a new hole into what is left of the spring even if its only 30mm shorter.

Any help would be much appreciated, as there is also likely to be other questions about other watches I have like a Brev s.g.d.g cyma which needs a new balance wheel and hair spring and probably a new main spring as well as its going to be blued steel.
Also I have an Leonidas GSTP with a broken screw in the clicker. I would like to get it out and replaced as the watch seems to run fine given the fact it was last used in 1948 or 1950.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:03 pm

Post Re: Which is the right replacement main spring ?
Update

I found another UK website that list its springs in a different way that i could understand :D
They have a minimum order of 10 pounds :(
I do need a new hair spring to go onto a plate escapement (which they sell)
Even if i have to pay 3x the price for a new plate escapement it will be a lot cheaper than the 400 pounds a ship wanted my sister to pay for the repair the clock.

If I can not drill 4 holes into a plate in the same place as in the old one I would never have been much of a toolmaker.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]